Thoughts, Tips & Tactics
Unless you are rattling down a country road in the old pickup truck that now serves as a great ‘cabin truck’ or hunting vehicle, and it’s still equipped with a cassette tape deck, no, you are not listing to your songs on cassettes, or for that matter, cd’s. It’s XM Radio, Bluetooth to your phone or other digital options.
Why don’t you listen on cassettes anymore? Because there are better ways to enjoy your favorite songs. Cd’s are better than cassettes because they sound much better and after the first five songs you don’t have to flip to the B side. Digital is better than cd’s for many reasons, including not having to put up with the cd skipping when the car hits a bump in the road, or the boat hits a wave on the lake.
Times change and things get better! But when it comes to marketing it’s amazing how many businesses are still listening to cassette tapes. Sure, they may have a cd or two, or maybe even some digital music, but they still have those cassettes in the mix and the question is, why?
I recently asked a business owner why they continue to spend an inordinate percentage of their marketing budget in one very specific area. Their answer? “Because we like our sales rep and just can’t find a way to say no to what we have always been doing.”
While there is a lot to be said for relationships and loyalty, there is also a lot to be said about embracing change and new opportunities. And when you place the health and best interest of your business first, bad decisions rooted in emotion have to take a back seat.
My response to this business owner was that if they cared this much about their sales rep, give them a gift card equal to 15% (a common commission) of what they spend on this particular advertising vehicle. Take the remaining 85% of the dollars and apply it toward a campaign that we both agreed would return a meaningful and measurable ROI. Everybody wins!
If you are still listening to music on cassettes – and marketing in equally tired ways – it’s time to get with the times, embrace technology, turn up the music and dance!
Thanks for reading and if you would like to chat about your choice of music, technology or marketing, please feel free to drop me a line.
I've been called a storyteller, and my journalism degree from the University of St. Thomas is something that I enjoy leaning on to tell a story in print every now and again. I guess this is where and why I keep my pencil sharp.